Vacancy Reference : 26861 / EPL 026 / 2021 (to be quoted in any correspondence)
UCLouvain invites applications for a tenure-track or tenured full-time position in Applied Mathematics for Artificial Intelligence
UCLouvain is a comprehensive university offering, in the context of the present position, the opportunity of cross-disciplinary research and teaching collaborations with specialists in mathematical engineering, computer science, electrical engineering, chemical engineering, biomedical engineering, life sciences, etc. Within the Science and Technology Sector, the position is attached to the Louvain School of Engineering and to the Institute of Information and Communication Technologies, Electronics and Applied Mathematics that offer opportunities for diverse and stimulating teaching as well as an environment to carry out ambitious research. The Louvain-la-Neuve site offers a unique living environment conveniently located at the heart of Europe. The Charleroi site offers an excellent higher-education environment, at the heart of a region that is undergoing a rapid economic development centred on new technologies.
The successful candidate will participate in an effort to address the growing need for teaching fundamental principles underlying artificial intelligence and data science in several degree orientations, including applied mathematics, computer science, data science and biomedical engineering. He or she will teach in the Master's programme of Enginnering in Applied Mathematics and Data Science that is offered at the Louvain School of Engineering. He or she will also teach mathematics for the Bachelor's degree in Engineering offered in Louvain-la-Neuve, as well as in the Bachelor's degree in computer science offered in Louvain-la-Neuve and in Charleroi.
The successful candidate will develop an outstanding research programme on the mathematical foundations of artificial intelligence, with a particular focus on one or several of the following sub-disciplines : deep-learning, randomized and probabilistic methods, human-robot interaction, model-free analysis, intelligent robots, robot learning, computer vision, planning, collaborative filtering, complexity and information retrieval.
Excellent candidates developing research in connected fields will also be considered.
- Be responsible for teaching courses at all study levels (i.e. undergraduate and postgraduate), as well as in programmes of continuing education;
- Supervise the final diploma research (i.e. theses) of undergraduate and graduate students, as well as PhD theses;
- Be involved in (and/or supervise, promote) research programmes;
- Be available to carry out, in the long term, different service activities and take on responsibilities within the University and its entities;
- Contribute to the international visibility of the University through teaching and research excellence;
- Contribute to activities of the University with a societal impact in the fields of the economy, socio-cultural changes or cooperation with developing countries.
Required Qualifications : the applicant must have
- A PhD degree in Applied Mathematics, mathematical engineering or any comparable discipline;
- Either studied abroad for an extensive period or have had substantial experience outside his or her university of origin;
- A significant scientific record with international publications;
- Experience in and the aptitude for teaching at university level, demonstrated if possible by formal assessments;
- The capacity to work within a team of teachers and to integrate research findings into teaching;
- Creativity and must be open to teaching innovation and interdisciplinarity;
- The capacities required to undertake high-level academic research: capacity to raise research funds, to supervise projects, to animate and lead a research team;
- Team management and communication skills, including if possible fluency in French and English, spoken and written. Otherwise, the applicant will be asked to acquire them within two years after taking office, in order to be able to communicate and teach in these languages. Knowledge of other languages is an additional asset.
Fluency in French and an interest in mathematics applied to life sciences is an additional asset.
The level of recruitment (appointment to the rank of lecturer or professor) will be discussed if a proposal is made to you, in connection with your previous academic experience. For more information, see: jobs.uclouvain.be.
Our HR policy supports equal opportunities and diversity including in the academic career. Attention is also paid to reconciliation of private life and professional life.
Application deadline: Tuesday, December 1, 2020 at noon
Starting date: 1st September, 2021
Further information :
Prof. Alain Jonas, Dean EPL – email@example.com
Prof. Jean-Didier Legat, President ICTM – firstname.lastname@example.org
Localization: Science and Technology Sector
Louvain School of Engineering (EPL) (https://uclouvain.be/en/faculties/epl)
Institute of Information and Communication Technologies, Electronics and Applied Mathematics (ICTM) (https://uclouvain.be/en/research-institutes/ICTEAM)
|Titel||An academic position in Mathematics for Artificial Intelligence (1 FTE)|
|Employer||Université catholique de Louvain|
|Job location||Place de l'Université 1, 1348 Louvain-La-Neuve|
|Publicerad||november 17, 2020|
|Sista ansökningsdatum||december 1, 2020|
|Befattningar||Professor,   Adjunkt/Lektor,   Universitetslektor,   Tenure Track  |
|Ämnen||Artificiell intelligens,   Människa-datorinteraktion,   Robotik,   Tillämpad matematik,   Sannolikhetsteori,   Beräkningsmatematik,   Maskininlärning,   Datorseende  |