Australian National University
The Australian National University (ANU) is a national asset that connects much of the best Australian thinking, expertise and learning.
ANU takes this knowledge to the world and brings the world's best back home.
The University has won wide recognition as a place of intensive research, undergraduate and postgraduate education, and policy engagement.
ANU has been a place of intensive research since day one. Research is central to everything ANU does, shaping our education experience and our contributions to national and international policy discussions. ANU researchers strive to be among the best in their fields, going beyond conventional thinking to tackle fundamental problems and the issues of the day.
Education shaped by research
- ANU was the top-scoring university in the Excellence in Research for Australia report (2010).
- ANU commits around 80 per cent of its operating budget to research activities each year.
- More than 80 per cent of ANU academic staff have a PhD
The educational experience at ANU is shaped by our culture of intensive research. ANU offers a holistic learning experience that goes beyond the classroom, giving students access to active researchers and opportunities for development around Australia and the world.
- ANU offers dozens of undergraduate programs across its seven academic colleges, providing students with the flexibility to tailor their studies with options like combined degrees and the Master of Studies.
- The interconnected community of scholars at ANU means students at all levels of experience can engage with active researchers who are among the best in their fields.
- ANU offers a strong residential campus experience, allowing students to study and socialise with like-minded peers.
ANU is a leading contributor to national and international policy discussions. ANU academics contribute their expertise to public policy debates.They work with partners in government, industry and not-for-profit organisations to apply research expertise to real-world problems.
- ANU has a memorandum of understanding with the Australian Government to foster better-informed policy processes.
- ANU is home to the Australian National Institute for Public Policy, a partnership with the Australian Public Service that is boosting the expertise of policy practitioners and connecting researchers with government departments.